Tuesday, January 19, 2016

If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words, then...

...my heart is filled with volumes.



My daughter and daughter-in-love do an amazing job of helping me be a part of their daily lives. 

  • I get texts of quotes from my grandchildren that make me laugh-out-loud. 



  • I get close-up photos of little Phoebe's eyes, saying 'will they stay blue?' We pray so.

  • I get videos of Bradley shooting one of his first baskets during his Upwards Basketball game.
  • I get FaceTime calls from my nearly two-year old granddaughter who says she wants to call "Nina" and sing her Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
  • I get videos of Brielle who at 22 months has the vocabulary of a three year old, trying to say 'cantaloupe."

  • I get to sit next to Norah via FaceTime as she shows me her very own iPod and what it can do. She even set me up on her desk so she could show me how she's improving her cart wheels. :-)
  • I get photos of beautiful coloring pages completed with love for Nana.

  • And I get to read to my oldest granddaughters who cling on every word of the story. Except for this last time when Norah was drawn away from listening because the sun was shining on an unusually warm January day in GA. She kept looking out the window, and I completely understood because if I had been there with her that's exactly what I would have done too.
It's true, our world became much smaller when the Internet and Social Media came along. But there's nothing that can replace the feel of snuggling a baby close to your chest or kissing the cheeks of a giggling toddler. Those times are reserved for our face to face gatherings. But I must admit I'm grateful for the pictures I carry in my heart each and every day.

If you are a Faraway Nana like me, I encourage you to connect as often as possible with your grandchildren in any way you can. The time goes by too fast to waste a moment or a tear or a laugh with them. And they need to know that even though miles separate us we carry them close in our hearts 24/7.

I'd love to hear your stories of making the distance more bearable.

(Book shelf photo credit: inafurniture.com)







No comments:

Post a Comment