Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Privilege to Pray



I remember hearing my grandmother say that she was praying for us. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I must say that now, years later, I'm so grateful to God for a praying grandmother.

My Mom took up her mantle after Big Mama (that's what we called my Mom's mom) died. She prayed for all of us by name every day. When she passed away in December of 2012, this was one of the things I missed most--knowing that I was covered with her prayers.

This reminds me of something I committed to do after she was gone--pray for my own children and grandchildren specifically by name. I have eight grandchildren and five grown children including my son-in-love and daughter-in-love. If I add my husband to the mix that gives me 14 total family members--two weeks to pray for one each day.

After seeing the movie, War Room, I was inspired to go often to my prayer closet to pray passionately for all who were on my heart and mind. It's amazing to me how I can feel so strongly about something, and then completely forget all about it. Ugh! I hate that about me, but God is patient with me and gently prods me to do what I said I would do.

In an effort to help me, I'm sharing this post with you. Do you pray for your grandchildren? In what ways have you seen Him answer the cries of your heart? How do you remind yourself to pray often? I'd love to hear about it.

I leave you with a picture the Lord gave me that fits with the topic at hand: 

I was pondering about situations that cause my heart to sink. You know that feeling--you are given news that makes you reel emotionally. It literally feels as if you're taking a plunge on the steepest roller coaster. At least that's what I've experienced, and I hate roller coasters! 
In those moments, I sensed the Lord saying these circumstances are pulling your heart like a slingshot downward so that you can fling them towards heaven. Take those worries--those cares--those problems which seem unsurmountable--and fling them through prayer to the Throne of Grace. God loves to answer desperate prayer. 


You know what the best part is of all this? Prayer knows no distance. If your grandchildren live close to you or are on the other side of the world, your prayers are just as effective. Let us pick up this mantle together and pray daily for those we love.  

"The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry." Psalm 34:15

Copyright, 2016 Debi Walter
PC: Jennifer Woodward

1 comment:

  1. Just delightful, thank you for sharing such a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete